Monday, August 4, 2008

Are we really this thirsty?




OK people, this is the thing that got me so fired up to start a blog, back in February, when Kristi and I went to see U23D at the “Shopryland” IMAX. We loathe that place, but had to see the movie there given it is our only IMAX, so what do you do?

We sit down in the theatre and are the first two people in there, so we had the most choice seats in the house. Then, when people started filing in to sit down, they didn’t spread out and give the others (US!) room in there—no—they had to come sit right behind or beside us. If you know the one “I am contractually bound to” then you know this is one of her major pet peeves, along with having an entire parking lot of empty spaces, feeling like you have it all to yourself, only to watch the next person that pulls into the empty lot park right next to you. 

Since I had no good excuse to get up and leave the theatre (at the time she was losing it over our new best friends being seated on all sides of us) other than I was a bit thirsty, I decided to go get a Sprite. I had not spoken with a loan counselor before approaching the concession stand, so I opted to get a SMALL Sprite. Did you get that adjective a few words back? SMALL.

So “precious” behind the counter busts out this bucket with a straw sticking out of it, to the tune of $4.00 and they have the nerve to call this a SMALL. Are we really this thirsty people? I mean, is 12oz. no longer doing it for you, so now you get the new small which was the old “bucket?” I’m sure this has everything to do with the genuises in the fast food world and their desire to make us as fat as possible and addicted to sugar as possible, while their wallets get as fat as possible. 

Just look in the photos at how a normal can of “Coke” pales in comparison to the colossal cup of insanity. “Say that reminds me,” (awesome movie quote—gold star to who knows what it is from) it’s all called Coke here, meaning to us natives. Find one sometime who is older than 13, and he/she will set you straight on that. Enjoy the picts friends, and then be sad that we have reached this state of needing half a 2 liter just to barely get by in a movie theatre.   


2 comments:

Nanette R. said...

Love that story and love reading what you write, because it's just like you talk. The other thing that's great is that the "coke" you're referring to in the comparison shot is actually a Blue Sky Root Beer, which has got to be an influence of your other half, who worked in NM where Blue Sky sodas originate (yes, I know you can find them at stores here now, but used to, they had to be brought in by those traveling across the Mississippi!)

JAY S. said...

Look at you with the Blue Sky trivia!! Most impressive intel my friend.

The Blue Sky thing is either because of Kristi or just Wild Oats, where we first saw them. My fave Root Beer out of a can, but Whole Foods has a Root Beer on tap in their store at the little cafe that is hard to beat.