
Back in May, when we were in San Diego visiting Kristi’s twin Kerri, the twins decided to take in the Pompei Exhibit at the San Diego Natural History Museum at Balboa Park. Since that particular exhibit was not on the top layer of interests I had (or wanted) to see on our trip, I took the opportunity to go to Taylor Guitars in nearby El Cajon, about 45 minutes from Kerri and Chuck’s house. Of keen interest to me was trying to find out where my new 12-string Taylor (K65ce) was in production. After finding out before the tour started that I would not be finding out due to the massive volume of production going on each day, I focused on enjoying the tour, which I could not wait for! Still though, the photo that leads off this post is one where a beautiful Koa Jumbo sits right in the middle of all these Rosewood beauties, and my guitar hit the final assembly department on May 11 and I was on the tour May 1. I’m not saying this is mine, but it could be! To check out my pictures from the factory tour, go here.
I was so much more a fan of that brand coming out of that tour than I was going into it. Martin Cenoz, our guide, was fabulous and I enjoyed a chat with him in the retail store after it was over. For more of Martin, go here and click on the Rosettes video in the “Factory Friday” video section and you will see him assemble a few rosettes from his time in that department. He was a joy to talk to, and I could not have had a better experience than I did while there. It was one of if not the highlight of my trip, and was the coolest guitar factory I have ever been in.
So, for all of you out there that have Taylors but have not seen the factory, go get a cup of coffee and sit back for a few minutes, checking out my photos of how your guitar was made. For all of you who are not Taylor owners, but love guitars and just want to see how they are made, feel free to jump in and click away. I hope you enjoy what you see as much as I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment