Tuesday, August 5, 2008

WHAT IS UP WITH “FINGUE”?

This is a question that has plagued me for most of my life, because I had an uncle Bobby, who used to call me “Fingue.” Yeah, me either. . .

The spelling of this word is just a guess on my part, since he never cared to share the real spelling of this nickname he created just for me. He also never cared to share with me the reason that he started calling me that. NICE! Hey, how about picking out a stupid word that makes zero sense, does not sound that appealing, and attach it to me for the first 30+ years of my life, then sadly pass away and never reveal all that was behind it. Thanks!

So friends, my challenge to you is this—to search the world over, and find out the meaning of “Fingue” and report back to me as soon as possible. You didn’t think you would just check in here all the time, get what you need and move on, without any participation now did you?

One last thing. Don’t get it in your head to start calling me this, for multiple reasons. 
1. My uncle Bobby has exclusive rights to this name for all of eternity.
2. I have plenty of nicknames already—some public, some privately held with exclusive rights.
3. I just think it is creepy. 

Should you not cooperate here, and begin to call me Fingue, you just might get the “Finger.”

8 comments:

Jen Stadler said...

So glad you're blogging!! Considering other family references- "hife, scoop, piga da galla", I'd say you are trying to make sense where sense "done blowed up". Are you sure Bobby just hadn't hit the bottle one too many times and wasn't saying "finger" with a slur? Why do I feel like we're playing Balderdash? I'm glad you have "biltong" to the internet.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps he was going for Feng Shui, and geesh, everyone knows that word is not pronounced the way it is spelled, so maybe, just maybe, the 'down home' pronunciation would be Fingue. Just a thought . . .

JAY S. said...

Well, Bobby did work at the Anheiser Busch distribution plant here in town that my grandpa “Chili” used to own “hife” of, so alcohol could have played a part in this nickname. Still, I think being called “finger” would be just as odd if not moreso.

I am quite confident given my entire family that none of them have EVER known what Feng Shui means. Probably assumes it is some kind of Sushi, and that is assuming that they have heard of it.

Anonymous said...

Its French for "Spring Break WOO"

Did he try to lift up his top when he would say it?

JAY S. said...

Never lifted his top—too much “Bud” gut given where he worked. It was “out there.”

Kristi said...

You're never going to believe what I read this morning. Biltong in context. Oh My Gosh.

http://www.skinnylaminx.com/2008/08/only-funny-without.html

Jeremy said...

You do realize how much temptation you have created for me here?

JAY S. said...

Man you just jump on that horse and ride it!