Friday, September 5, 2008

Friday Foto #3



Two summers ago, Kristi and I were hired to photograph a wedding, and after the wedding was done and “the kids” were off doing what they needed to do honeymoon wise, Kristi and I decided to convert our “work” trip into a mini vacation of New England. We spent 1-2 days in each town we visited, and one of the highlights of that trip was the whale watching tour we went on in Plymouth MA. The photo you see above is one of my favorites I took of a Humpback Whale which is the most common whale found in those waters.

It was a four-hour tour—a four-hour tour, and the journey to the hot spot of activity took an hour or so to get there. Once there, we trolled for a few hours in various areas and saw lots of whales, some doing the typical blow-hole relief, and others being more dramatic and flapping fins or tail, and there was one amazing breach that I missed the first part of by being on the wrong side of the boat, but I did see it coming back down into the water and it was an incredible sight and sound. There was a mother and baby swimming together which was quite sweet, and we got some good views of a few humpbacks feeding on krill and saw some birds coming down for the leftovers on the water. Whale moochers . . . 

I would highly encourage you to go on a whale watching tour whenever you are in a location that offers them. It is a beautiful, peaceful experience where you get to witness one of the most amazing creations that God ever whipped up. A whale of a good time if I say so myself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we've been whale watching, and it IS fun. I would do it again :) !!! we did see a lot of dolphins too though - that was super cool :)