Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What was I thinking??

This morning I went to get my hair cut, and as I began to write my check, got some mental wires crossed and in the “to” line on my check, wrote HAIR CUT. I’d processed the thought of writing that in the memo line where it normally resides, but evidently had a misfire between my brain and my right hand in about 2 seconds. It happens a lot, but mainly when I combine two things at once that I want to say to someone. Here is an example.

One Sunday morning a while back, I was a greeter at church. Now this is the easiest job in the entire volunteer universe for serving at church. That’s not why I do it, but I’m just sayin’—it’s not “rocket science” to hold a door open and say good morning. Well, in serving as a greeter, I get bored sometimes saying the same stuff 100 times, so I mix it up some. This particular morning, some people came in and as I opened the door, was thinking of saying “hello” or “hey there” and what came out was HEYLAY, which is a combination of the two. I felt like a giant loser, just like I did today in writing my check after my hair cut. Didn’t even mention it to my stylist, I just tore it out, started a new check with renewed mental focus.

So, should you be an eyewitness to such a mental incident sometime while being around me, please give me some space to step back, reassess and fix the brain fart. You can still think “bless his heart” or something, just don’t say it. I’m past 40 now, and this is just one piece of evidence of the fact that I am falling apart, one piece at a time.

2 comments:

Its Lainee said...

oh bless your heart (and your cute little brain fart)!

JAY S. said...

Hey I know what “bless your heart” is code for! :)