Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday Foto #32



Well not only is it Friday, which means the end of the work week and another Friday Foto post, but this particular Friday is also my Granny’s birthday. She would have been 101 today and if it were not for Alzheimer’s Disease, we may have been able to blow out some candles with her today. She was quite a strong woman. So, in honor of her today, this week’s photo showcases her in front of my model car collection when I was a kid.

Granny was a big supporter of me building model cars, and always said I was “so good and artistic” while building them, and often following that up with a line like “that sure is purty!”
Heck, she bought most of them too, because there was rarely a time when she and I went somewhere that I didn’t come home with a model car to build, or a jar or two of paint for one I had to build at home. This was a constant in my life as a kid. What else is one to do while being ignored by most in the household? Stay busy!!

I love to put stuff together and build things to this day because of my time building models. Now I’m not out in the yard building giant structures or moving vehicles, but still—I love to put stuff together. I used to do cool paint jobs on the bodies, which I think along with being so detailed about that and the building of my models, laid the foundation for the very career I have that I’m in my 21st year of. 

So today I celebrate my Granny, and her love and support for me, and my love for building model cars. This was one of the few true joys I had as a kid, and I am so thankful for every car, truck, or van I got to build. 


2 comments:

Its Lainee said...

thank God for grandparents . . . mine filled many holes in my life.

JAY S. said...

AMEN!! Same with mine. What would we have done without them?!