Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday Foto #44



It’s not too often that while driving down the street, you see a row of old theatre seats sitting out front of an abandoned gas station. Yet, that is what I came across here for this weeks Friday Foto. There are about a half dozen seats lined up here, but I am only focusing on these two, because somehow, these two “spoke to me.”

They seemed to be “holding on” amidst their decay, rot and ruin, whereas a few of the others were in much worse shape. In days gone by, they all had performed well, yet these stood out above the others as being able to withstand the storms of the life they now live outside this run down shack of a gas station. Of course the storms they face are literal and outdoors since this is where they dwell, and contain rain and in this town, sand.

Then I got to thinking about myself, and hoping that unlike these seats, that my best days are in front of me, and not behind me. I just turned 42 this week, and every year that goes by gets harder and harder to accept in terms of that number called my age, because internally (at least mentally) I feel 7. Yet like these seats, I see the outer decay known as thinning hair, crows feet at the corners of my eyes, two surgeries in 12 months, and the list goes on.

But then I have to remind myself, that the body in which I live is not the body in which I will forever be a part of. There will come a day when the decay that I see and feel will be removed—forever—and I’ll have a new covering, unlike these seats, that will never know what decay is. Instead of sitting outside of an abandoned gas station watching the world go by and the storms blow in, I’ll be in glory, praising the One that saved me from ending up like these chairs for all of eternity.

No comments: