Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Time to box the Vox



Well, after a few months of trying to sell my Vox AC50CP2 amp, the day has finally come. A guy in Jackson, TN bought it, and since I got paid today, went ahead and had one last jam with it tonight, then boxed it up.

In a way, it is a relief, because I have been trying all summer to sell it, and have had so many close calls of people who backed out at the last minute, or who lived out of the US and things just not working out. Also, I can fully pay off its replacement, which is a new Vox Night Train head and V112NT cabinet.

But I am also sad too, because this AC50 is my favorite amplifier of all-time, and it is LOADED with great features and provides amazing sound, in either channel. I am also reminded of why I am selling it—because this past June I had an Incisional Hernia operation and it is just wise for me to not be hauling around a 78 lb. amp given the shape of my gut, with two surgeries on it in 12 months. Even if hauling it around means one time up a flight of stairs, it is still wise to not even attempt to do that. Plus, 50w will take your head off at any respectable volume level, and since the majority of my electric guitar playing is done right here at home, I don’t really need the horsepower that amp provides.

So, off it goes tomorrow in the big brown truck down I-40 to a new home. I hope the buyer loves it as much as I have and that he has many years of enjoyment out of it. I know this may seem silly for a non 13 yr. old, fully grown adult man to be sad about, but if you only knew how much playing guitar takes me back to being 13 (in all good ways) almost every time I pick one up, and get a glimpse of the joy I get out of playing, then this may make more sense.

Tomorrow, I will have to get on the Night Train and take a ride to help myself feel better about my “wise” decision. I’d do it now, except that I have a sleeping wife, and I do not want to disturb her. My sadness will pass, and I will be thankful for all the fun jams I had with this amp and be grateful for the gear I have, which I really enjoy. It’s just hard sometimes to make an adult decision about something you need to give up, but don’t want to.

2 comments:

Its Lainee said...

one of your best posts, ever. I could feel the love :)

JAY S. said...

You dear thing!