Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Foto #50



Well, after a brief absence in the weekly posts, the Friday Foto is back. Though the quality is not great at all, it does represent a really cool concert Kristi and I went to recently at the Ryman Auditorium.

Steve Martin played a banjo concert with the incredible Steep Canyon Rangers band. Now I have known for 30 years how great a banjo player Steve Martin is, from his days back on SNL and his old standup routines. But he has never toured doing music until now, so since Kristi LOVES banjo and Steve Martin, I thought this would be a great thing for us to do, so I got us tickets, and we went with our dear friends David and Leslie.

This photo was taken with my crap camera phone, and though I wish I could have had my Nikon in there, this will have to do. This shot of Steve is him doing a tune by himself while the band took a break. The show was being taped for future TV and video opportunities, so I hope that a DVD comes out from the concert. We may even be on it, given how close we were to the stage!

John McEuen of Nitty Gritty Dirt Band fame, opened the show and was amazing in his playing of guitar, fiddle and banjo. I could have watched him all night and been thoroughly entertained and wowed by his skill on every instrument he touched.

But, the big draw was Steve, and after John’s set, we were excited when he came out with the Rangers, and began playing songs from his new album, The Crow. It was just so fun to see someone in person that I/we have been fans of for over 30 years and getting to do something he loves and is really great at. The Rangers proved to be an incredible band on their own, and I would go see them any day again, with or without Steve. Super talented and fun to listen to, they were simply fantastic.

I have no idea if this is the only time Steve will tour—I looked at it as a once in a lifetime kind of concert—but if he does come to Nashville again, you can bet we will do our best to be there. I would highly recommend you doing the same if you like banjo and bluegrass music. You will no be disappointed.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Even though it's not a great shot, I love that it's still immediately obvious that that is STEVE up there... even without the context clues! So much fun, thank you SO MUCH!