



I know I said when I started BLAH BLAH BLOG a few years ago, that one of the things that would not be discussed on it would be work. This will most likely be the only exception to that.
What you see above are the results of a work project that we had in our office a while back. We were hired by McPherson Guitars, out of Sparta, WI to design and illustrate four different tree inlays for a very special series of guitars called The Four Seasons. These guitars were going to be very expensive, and very exclusive. Only 4 will ever be made in this series, since each guitar is a different season of the year.
We got a sample guitar in and a template to scale of the guitar fretboard, so we would know exactly where the frets are, so we knew where not to do anything critical as far as the inlay design. The project called for 4 different designs, with the only common thing that they start at the same location (where the body meets the fretboard) and they end about the same location (third fret). Kristi LOVES trees, and loves to draw them, so this was a job made for her.
She did some sketches of each tree and we sent them to McPherson for approval. Two got approved right away, and two needed some changes. After a bit of back and forth discussion and revisions, we were done and sent them hi-res art of the trees, that were just black shapes, because the inlay artists there at McPherson would be the ones deciding the materials and colors of all the inlays.
Months and months went by before we finally got some photos of the guitars and we were so excited to finally see the results. The woods used and the materials in the fretboard inlays are top notch, and they should be since each guitar in the series costs $30,000.00. If it makes you feel any better, they are giving a deal to anyone interested in buying all four—you get a discount of $20,000.00, therefore the set only costs you $100,000.00! Bargain! Plus, each guitar comes with its own custom display case.
Last month, I went to Anaheim, CA for the 2011 Winter NAMM show, where I got to see the guitars in person. I was thrilled to finally see and hold in my hands the fruit of our labor and I was amazed. That is for another post though, since I have about 20 photos of these guitars and 200 more of other stuff I saw. For more information on these guitars, as well as a few more photos of the backs and sides, go to the website (link above) and look for the “limited edition guitars” part in the menu, and you will find them quickly.
1 comment:
That's so awesome and the artwork is beautiful! Great job!!!
Post a Comment