Saturday, October 20, 2012

When less is more







In light of me getting some new ebony bridge pins with abalone dots, I thought I would take the opportunity to photograph my Taylor BTO 12-Fret, like I have done my other guitars in the past that I have shown on the blog. However, as I look at these photos, I am realizing that there are no photos of the bridge pins on here. Trust me, they’re cool. They add just a tiny bit of bling to this guitar and set it off nicely. It’s one of those situations in which less is more. In fact, that is almost a theme in itself for this guitar.

It is a 12-fret model, so the body meets the fretboard 2 frets sooner than normal, causing me to have less fretboard to work with, but as my friend and Taylor Guitars product demo (amazing player) Corey Witt says, “nobody makes any money above the 8th fret anyway.” Another way that less is more here is with the sound of this smallest of guitar bodies. Though it is the smallest shape that Taylor makes, it is one of the loudest guitars they make due to how the sound hole is pushed back into the center of the lower bout after the fretboard moves into the body more to accommodate the 12-fret aesthetic.

Less is more as well regarding the joy of playing this small wonder of an instrument, like opportunities to record with it recently and having world class players demo the guitar at multiple Taylor Road Shows in the past year. It has been quite the blessing since I picked it up after placing my BTO order with World Music Nashville. You can go back to older posts here on the blog and read about all that.

Oh yeah, and back to those bridge pins. If that bit of baby bling is something you need to see, let me know and I will be happy to show you just how much less is more.

No comments: