There are just some things in life that are so cool and special that you can’t believe you even got the chance to experience it. Such was the case recently when I got the privilege and pleasure to tour the Knaggs Guitars factory in Greensboro, Maryland, about an hour from Annapolis, Maryland, where I was staying for a few days to go to another amazing guitar factory, the PRS Guitars factory in Stevensville, Maryland, for their 30th anniversary event.
Knowing I would be in town for that event, and so close to the Knaggs factory, I reached out to the company to see if I could get a tour, and after a series of emails with Peter Wolf, also formerly of PRS who started Knaggs Guitars with Joe, the plan was set. I was emailing Peter just after I purchased this Knaggs Choptank from Willcutt Guitars, in Lexington, KY. It’s an incredible guitar that I loved within minutes of picking it up and playing for the first time—even before plugging it in, I could tell that this guitar was alive. So resonant, with sustain for days. When I plugged it into an amp at Willcutt that day, the sounds were so warm and unlike the sounds of any other guitar that I have. Visually it is unlike any other guitar I have as well, so double bonus for me! Oh, and speaking of a Choptank, the one I am holding above is Joe’s personal guitar that is the prototype Choptank that he built 15 years ago and still plays to this day. Not only that, the color of this one is so close to mine it is scary. He brought this in knowing I had just bought a Choptank and thought I may like to see his. How cool is that?
Back to the tour. I arrived right on time for our tour and really up until the tour started, I had no idea if Peter was giving it, or some random employee was giving it. There are only about a dozen guys that work there, so it would have been one of a very small number of guys giving the tour. But I get the man himself, Joe Knaggs. That was quite the surprise and treat, and made an already cool event all the more special, for him to take time out of his day and do this for me. Amazing. And so was the tour. It is a small space, and a crowded space, so the tour didn’t last but just over an hour but it was a jam packed tour where Joe showed me every part of the construction process of Knaggs Guitars, and explained everything in great detail about them. From raw wood up to guitars being built and shipped that day, I saw it all and it was quite the treat. The captions on the photos tell the story of the tour itself, so I will spare you reading it twice by saying it all here. To see the photos and read about my super exclusive private tour, go here and check them out. The captions help guide you through his factory.
Many thanks to Peter Wolf and Joe Knaggs for this once in a lifetime opportunity. This was the highlight of my trip and I am incredibly grateful for the time that Joe took out of his busy day to take me on this tour. If you have never played a Knaggs guitar then by all means find a dealer, and make the effort to go check one out. If you need help finding a Knaggs dealer, let me know. I can point you to three of the best music stores in the country that sell them, all within a quick four hour drive of Nashville.
No comments:
Post a Comment