Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rough, Raw and Rockin’!




If you recall the post about these Road Shows that Taylor has been putting on, you know that Kristi and I went to one in Huntsville at The Fret Shop. Of course I wanted to go to it anyway because I am just a big guitar geek freak, but the other reason was to pick up a new six-string toy. It is one of the new SolidBody electrics, and it has an all Walnut body with holes, pits, dings and other rough and raw properties. It also has 3 noiseless single coil pickups and all the Taylor specific features on there that can be found on their other electrics. Between the 5 position switch, I have quite the range on this one guitar, and overall these single coils are much fatter than most I have heard on other brand guitars. That is another thing that attracted me to this model, because I have never owned a single coil equipped instrument due to a very thin, bright sound that is typical of those pickups. These are different, and are similar to humbuckers with a much bigger sound. That’s the difference when you have a company that invents it themselves—from the tuning machines all the way to the bridge—vs. a company that carves a body, sticks parts on it from everyone else in the business, and calls it their own. Taylor is all about innovation, and that is one of the reasons why I am such a fan of the brand.

The story behind this starts at NAMM a while back when I saw one and played it for a bit, and thought it was super cool and unique. I then followed up on it with Aaron Dablow of Taylor, and that set off a string of communication between us about the availability of one of these at an upcoming Road Show in Alabama. Once I knew I could score one, I had to figure out how to pay for it, and took care of that by selling one of my bikes (see related post) and some other miscellaneous items. Kristi and I have sort of an “arrangement” on these type of transactions involving wood and a varying number of strings. If I want it bad enough, I figure out how to come up with the funds by selling other things and/or doing side projects that bring me money. That way I am not strapping us financially for wanting to make a purchase like this. I think so far it has worked out great, because I am getting rid of things that I no longer need, no longer want or have just lost the affection for that I once had. This clears up space around the house and helps me meet my monetary goal.

Many thanks again to Aaron and the others who pulled some “strings” (pun intended) to make it happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool story, and very nice photos you did of the guitars. Was that in the basement? The background really sets of the swirling walnut grain. Kudos photo boy!

JAY S. said...

Thanks! Given our chat the other day at lunch, I worked on the copy some. Shot them on my front porch since the concrete has such a great texture to it.