Sunday, March 22, 2009

Some FLUent advise from my dad

Given my previous post, you know that recently I was down for the count with the flu, as was Kristi. We are fine now, and over that mess, but while in the midst of it, my father the “medical genius” had some words of wisdom for me while we were chatting on the phone one day.

He told me that drinking coffee would help me, and that I should have a cup every night right before I go to bed. Sadly, this is pure evidence of the fact that he does not know me half as well as he thinks he does, because if that were the case, he would know not to share a stupid idea like that with me, someone who struggles with insomnia. I told him that if I were to do that, I might as well go mow the lawn at bedtime since I would be awake half the night, and his response to that was “well, you probably shouldn’t have any that late then if it will keep you up.” YA THINK? REALLY?

In this same conversation, he also told me to start putting PINE-SOL into our washer every time we did laundry, because he does that with every load he washes, and he feels that it goes a long way to help killing germs. 

This is coming from the same man who told me IN THE HOSPITAL last summer right after I had intestinal surgery, that I should have me a big ole pork chop, because it would be really good for me and “grease my system real good.” I could not even respond to that one as I sat there in my hospital gown wishing he would just be quiet and not fill me with his vast medical knowledge. How my father missed the boat of being a doctor is truly beyond me with all the incredibly brilliant remedies he has for everything. I hate that he missed his true calling, but at least I have the memories of all his gems like these to be inspired by, and to share with you. 

You’re welcome!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to be obvious, but I hear Windex will cure what ails ya :)

JAY S. said...

I can’t believe my dad has not busted that one out on me yet. Stay tuned though . . . there is sure to be more medical material from him.

Kristi said...

Not much can top the greasy pork chop advice. I 'bout lost it in the hospital that day! :)