Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How small the world really is

The other day I was posting a bunch of random things to put on eBay and Craigslist, one of which was a big 4' x 8' sheet of plywood we had in the basement for a while that was no longer serving any purpose. I put it up on craigslist, and within an hour, started getting inquiries about it. Within one day, 14 people were interested, mainly because it was FREE. Figures.

Anyway, the first guy that responded said in his email to me that he lives in Sylvan Park. He gave me his cell number and when I called him to set up a pickup time, he said “where do you live in Sylvan Park” and I responded with our address. Then he said “I live about 6 houses down from you in the next block.” Can you believe that?? I was blown away—still am actually.

He showed up an hour later with his van, and when we were loading the wood into the back of it, he said “see that house up there on the corner with the stained fence and the roof deck? That’s me.” Kristi and I have walked past his house dozens of times and every time wondered about that roof deck. He complemented me on our garage and when I told him what is used to look like, he said “oh I remember what it used to look like.” Kinda creepy, until he told me they have been in their house up the street for 12 years.

How many people are there in this town? And the first one that asks about this wood lives 6 houses down from me? Just proves to me how small the world really is. . .

1 comment:

Its Lainee said...

Yep. I just learned that all over again when I visited my folks in Houston (see my latest post). I'm glad YOU'RE in my small world!!