Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Foto #39



I can find something cool in the most mundane, utilitarian thing sometimes, and in this case, a light switch. This weeks Friday Foto post finds me going back to Hidden Cove Camp, that I wrote about in a post a while back.

Given that we have had some “issues” with NES these past few days, I thought I would show something as simple as a switch—that has the ability to provide, or remove light. Just like NES. When they feel like it. Anyway, what I thought was so cool about this light switch was that it is old, dirty, worn, and textured, with lots of character, let it still gives you perfect light when it does it’s job and connected to a light source. The appearance is not all that pretty here, but it still gives or takes away light.

I think that is the way the christian life is too. We too are worn, dirty and textured (because of sin), yet we have character. Some of us are characters! We also have the right light source within us, the Holy Spirit—who can through us provide light to the environment we are in, if we choose to let Him do it. We can also remove His ability to shine light through us, and turn Him off, by how we live and the control that sin can have on us at times. Sometimes the choice to be obedient or disobedient to God is as easy as flipping a light switch on or off.

One of these days, we will not have to worry about the switch having an off position, because we will shine with a light that we cannot even imagine now, and the darkness of sin will not even be possible. That my friends, will be a good day. And a bright one.

So, the next time you see a dirty, old light switch like this, stop for a minute and just look at it, and compare its job to our job as believers. As dirty and worn as we may look and feel, we too are meant to shine!

No comments: