Monday, July 6, 2009

Role model—really?

So of course the press has been all over Steve McNair’s shooting, and I have been amazed at the amount of praise the man is getting, from family and friends alike on the different sites covering this story. Of particular interest, and sadness to me, is how lots of people are saying what a “role model” he was, along with being a “model citizen,” and that he loved kids and blah blah blah.

I guess I am having an issue with the press highlighting these glowing attributes they’re spewing out, along with the obvious whoopity doooooo NFL stats, because to me, a role model is NOT a man who cheats on his wife with someone technically old enough to be his daughter. A role model is NOT a father who was on the verge of voluntarily splitting up his family for this. A “role model for kids” is NOT someone I respect when he chooses to emotionally/ psychologically harm his own kids by having an affair with another woman. Even if they didn’t know before this past weekend, they know now that their father was in a major affair, headed towards divorce court to marry this girl he shared his last minute on earth with.

And is a “model citizen” basically classified as a celebrity/athlete who can do whatever he wants, break the rules, and ruin his family, stain his legacy by how he was killed, and yet still be praised and adored, with hardly any ink being devoted to how wrong all this is? His wife was quoted as being “distraught” in one of very few things said about her. Shocker . . .

Is it just me?

I’m not saying the man didn’t do anything good with his life, money and influence, because I really don’t know. He always seemed to be very pleasant in interviews etc. on tv, but a “role model” given what happened over the weekend?

Really?

4 comments:

Nanette R. said...

Thank you for that post. This whole thing has made me so sad and angry and I have been praying for Mechelle McNair and her four boys. I pray that God will help them through this awful time.

Adam said...

Amen, Jay! I think the same thing has been going on with Michael Jackson; people gloss over all the bad stuff and try to think only happy thoughts about the recently deceased. The problem is as you say; the recently deceased aren't always quite so laudable.

With Nanette, I pray that McNair's wife and kids will experience the great grace and comfort of God as they grieve the double loss (first to adultery, second to death) of their husband and father.

Anonymous said...

David Climer wrote an article in the Monday Tennessean that references this very thing. http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090706/COLUMNIST0202/907060337/1002/SPORTS

At one point he says, "It's fine to admire what these people do in the heat of athletic competition; it's unwise to expect them to be infallible once off the field."

Jeanette said...

It is not just you.