Thursday, September 10, 2009

Changing of the Guard


Pickguard that is. I bought one of Taylor’s new Loaded Pickguards a while back and decided that since my strings were in pitiful need of being replaced, it would be a good time to switch to the new HG pickguard and give my stock 3 single coils pickguard a much deserved break.

If you go onto Taylor’s website via the link above, you can read about the loaded pickguards and see the seven variations they offer, as well as the step-by-step instructions for how to do it yourself. That’s right, they made it so easy, that even a non-guitar tech goob like me can do it. This is one of my favorite things about Taylor Guitars, and I have a lot of them. They are always thinking, and coming up with great innovations like this, that are simple for the average player.

I thought I would share some photos I took of the process in doing the switcheroo the other day on the porch. Enjoy!

So here is the guitar before the changing of the guard takes place.

Step 1 is removing the strings (in my case since these were so worn out) or just loosening them enough to pull them off to the side like this.

Step 2 for me was giving the fretboard a nice cleaning and conditioning, and then removing the 10 screws on the perimeter of the stock single coils pickguard.

Step 3 is to pull out the old (gently) and disengage the ground wire and the pin and socket wire going to the pickguard, and then you are half way there!

Here is the package for the HG Humbucker pickguard that will replace the stock one for a while.

Step 4 is the reverse of the previous step—insert the ground wire and the pin and socket wire going to the pickguard, and then it’s time to install! So simple.

Step 5 is the reverse of Step 2—reinstall the ten screws on the perimeter of the pickguard, and that is basically it. Restring, and rock out!

After having the guitar cranked through my Vox amp, I really like the HG pickups. They are quite hot, but yet I still get a variety of sounds with the 5 way switch.

Here are how they split up as I go through the switch.
• Neck
• Inside Coils Parallel
• Full Neck + Inside Bridge
• Inside Coils Series
• Bridge

I’ll probably keep this pickguard on through at least a few changes of strings, because I want to be able to get familiar with the tones so that when I go back to my 3 single coils pickguard that will once again sound new to me. So far I am really impressed with Taylor’s pickups, because I am not even a fan of single coil pickup sounds—but these were the best single coils I had ever heard, and they are noiseless, so it was a double bonus to me, not to mention the coolness of the guitar itself.

Many thanks to the design and product development folks at Taylor for coming out with such cool products. Now if you would only get that Trem version of the solidbody ready!

No comments: