
For this week’s Friday Foto, I thought I would take you to our nation’s capital. Welcome to the Washington Monument, on a beautiful fall evening, taken from the steps of the place where Honest Abe sits. We were visiting our 16th President’s memorial and enjoying him and his view while there on vacation recently. This was an evening when we were hanging with our dear friend Cherilyn, after dinner at Best Buy Poets, Bus Stop Poets, Pet Shop Boys and Poets, as well as the real name of the restaurant, Busboys and Poets.
The last time I saw the Washington Monument was back in the fall of 2002, almost to the 9-11 anniversary, and being up in the monument that windy but clear day was very scary for me. I started getting quite nervous, and filled with anxiety the longer we were up there, as I thought about being up there on that sunny Tuesday 9 years ago, and hearing and seeing a jet fly over a nearby interstate and crash into the Pentagon. It was creepy.
This time though, much more pleasant an experience, with time, and being on the ground having a lot to do with that. This is one of my favorite buildings in the world, because it is so simple, yet so iconic. A great testimony of design and engineering that will never go out of style in the architectural world, and never lose its meaning and significance to the rest of the world.
If you have never been to Washington D.C., then GO. SOON! This is just one of the many treasures we have there to enjoy and marvel at. I am looking forward to our next visit there, and just maybe, I’ll get to go back to the top again, and not freak out like I did last time.
1 comment:
I always laugh at reading all the random names you guys came up with for that restaurant. And I will take you and the Mrs. to the Washington Monument anytime. ANY. TIME.
Post a Comment