Wednesday, December 1, 2010

San Diego April 2010


Back in April of this year Kristi and I went to San Diego to visit her twin Kerri and husband Chuck, for what was to be our final visit there before they moved to the east coast. It wasn’t our first visit out there and hopefully over time, it will not be our last should they one day return to that area. We arrived there on a gorgeous day (they’re ALL that way that time of year) and after being picked up by a friend, arrived at Chuck and Kerri’s and greeted Joe and Carolyn, Kristi and Kerri’s parents, who were also there. They had already been there several days, and we had about a 3 day overlap before they headed back to TX.

Shortly after getting settled, we all took a walk to the beach, which is only a mile away, and we enjoyed a late afternoon stroll. After a well deserved night of rest, we all took a trip to the Flower Fields in Carlsbad, just up the street from where we were staying. Check out the link here about the place, as well as the many photos we took while there when you get to the photos link below. It was a beautiful day and the flowers were stunning. Acres and acres of vibrant color from so many flowers that I had never even heard of—but then again, I am a guy.

One day we went to Mission San Luis Rey, which we had been to before on our previous trip. Always a delightful place to visit, we toured the beautiful grounds of the mission and had a great lunch at a nearby mexican (what else?) restaurant. Continuing the mission theme, on another day we toured Mission San Juan Capistrano, which Kristi and I had never been to. It was amazing, and there are lots of photos of it in our link below as well. The grounds were my favorite of any mission I have ever been to, and the church itself was beautiful. This was where we were at when Kristi wrote the prayer for Emmett to be healed, that I wrote about in a recent Friday Foto post. The town itself was charming too, and after our mission tour, we had a mission to find something to drink, and went and got milkshakes at a Ruby’s Diner just a few blocks away.

It was a hot day and we had been outside a lot at the mission, so I was quite parched and looking forward to a nice cold milkshake. Until my mother in law decided what was mine was hers too and drank 90% of my leftover shake, without even blinking an eye. Funny, yet not. She obviously didn’t understand my affection for milkshakes, and that I wanted ALL of mine. Funny, yet not.

Also while we were out there in San Diego, Kristi and I had our day at Taylor Guitars, which I just wrote about here, and I also visited another great music store that I like, which is just about 10 minutes away from their house in Carlsbad, Buffalo Brothers Guitars. Great guitar store, with tons of selection and variety of instruments.

As our trip wound down, we decided to go visit Torrey Pines, which Kristi’s dad Joe had always told us about on trips out there. Check out the link for the scoop on it, but we had a very nice time there, got a great walk in, and spent some good time alone with Kerri, which we always like. There is an awesome walk to the beach that we took as we casually and slowly enjoyed our descent to it, and once there had a nice, leisurely stroll back to the parking lot. It is a very peaceful place, and one to go enjoy even if the reserve and the pines are of no interest.

And of course, last but not least, was the time we got to spend with our most gracious host, Angela Meadows, featured in some of the last photos with Kerri and “Little O,” who we adore, like we do her mom. Kristi and I enjoyed hanging out with them each morning before we walked down the street to Kerri and Chuck’s, to get the day rolling. Sometimes Angela came with us, like the day we went on a shopping spree at the Cedros Avenue Design District which was a blast. We also had some great meals with Angela while we were out and running around, as well as an amazing steak dinner at her home the last night we were there. DELICIOUS!

We had a great time and hope it is not our last time in that area. Until the next time though, we have our photos to enjoy, and the memories of family and dear friends to carry us. If you want to see the photos of our trip, go here. Enjoy.

No comments: