Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Taylor Guitars Factory Tour



Back in April, while we were visiting family in San Diego, Kristi and I got a chance to tour the Taylor Guitars factory in nearby El Cajon, California. For her it was the first time, but for me, it was my second tour, the first of which was a few years ago when we were out there for another family visit. To see the photos from that first factory tour I went on, go here.

I had made arrangements in advance to be there on the day that Martin Cenoz was doing the factory tour. He is the gentleman I am pictured with above. Martin was my tour guide a few years ago and he was amazing, and there was no way I was going to be on someone else’s tour unless he was out of town.

But even prior to the tour, we got to meet up with Aaron Dablow, one of the Taylor sales reps that I have known for a few years, who is partly responsible for me getting this. Aaron is a great guy and it has been a blast hanging out with him at Road Shows, Summer NAMM and here at the Taylor factory. We met up in the lobby where the Taylorware stuff is, and then he took us through the building to show us a few sweet BTO guitars in production, and we headed to a local mexican restaurant that he likes to frequent. Great food and conversation was had by all, and we were amazed that we even got to do that, and were grateful that he wanted to hang with us and spend some time together.

Once back at the office, it was tour time, and we met up with Martin and the rest of the people attending the tour that day. It was so great to see Martin and he was very kind to me and Kristi in pointing out that we were award winning designers from TN, who were there on their second tour. Along the way as he was talking to the whole group, he would single us out and ask us something or share a bit of info about me to the group. Just making it personal and special for us, which was so fun. He treated us like celebrities on that tour, and we had a blast. Kristi really enjoyed it and learned a ton, as well as liking Martin right off. Who couldn’t? You can view the photos from this second tour of the factory here.

Then, as if that was not enough, our day at Taylor continued, with Cory Sheehan coming down to meet us and spend some time with us after the tour. Cory is Senior Art Director there at Taylor, and we met a few years ago at Summer NAMM here in Nashville after I set up a meeting with him to show our portfolio. We were hoping for opportunities to do some design work for Taylor. Still hoping . . .

Given the size of our tour, Martin couldn’t take us everywhere that smaller groups get to go, so Cory took us back to those places, like the inlay room where the rosettes are done, and a few other small areas that a large group could not pack into. Then he took us to the Taylor University room, where they bring in dealers and do training and seminars on new instruments, customer service, repair work—anything Taylor related. This was super cool, because the usual factory tour people do not get to see this at all. This is when it pays to know someone, and we were grateful he wanted to take us there. In this room, there were tons of guitars hanging on the walls. All of their electric models were represented, as well as several acoustic models, and even some BTO examples. Then there was a yet to be released model that I will not speak of here. You’ll just have to find it on your own in the photos. But don’t tell anyone!

The room also had lots of amps for demo purposes and other gear that they take to trade shows. We got to hang with Cory a good hour or so, and it was a great time. I really wanted he and Kristi to meet and hit it off, which I think they did, because I am still hoping that Taylor would be interested in hiring us for some design and illustration work at some point. Still hoping . . .

Even if they don’t, it will not change our minds about our favorite guitar company. Between Aaron, Martin and Cory, we were treated like royalty to a very special day at Taylor. And for someone that is not famous, not a well known, hot shot guitar player, that was incredibly special, and a day I will remember for the rest of my life. Yeah, for the guitars and cool stuff we saw, but moreso about how they value and take care of their customers. In my opinion, in the musical instrument industry, no one can even come close to Taylor in that department. Their customers are special to them and it is very obvious to see. You can see it in their company and in the offices and it is part of every person that works there.

Many thanks to Aaron, Martin and Cory for a special day. I have no idea when I/we will ever be in San Diego again with a chance to do the tour, but if that day never comes, at least we have this day to look back on and remember.

1 comment:

Cherilyn said...

I love that you love guitars so much. It's just another endearing quality, even though I have yet to see or hear you play!