Friday, December 24, 2010

Friday Foto #61



This is love. This is joy. This is pancakes for breakfast. On a camping trip. This is one of my favorite things in all of life. This is the latest Friday Foto.

I have had a love affair with pancakes for most of my life. When Kristi and I got married, I filled up with joy, knowing that on occasion, my dear wife was going to make me pancakes for breakfast. I learned several years ago that her pancakes are some of the best I have ever had in my entire life. I am a Nashville native, and have only been to the famous Pancake Pantry twice. I just don’t see the need to go there. They don’t have anything on Kristi’s pancakes.

When we started our camping trips for anniversaries and other occasions (spontaneous fun being one), we plan to always do good and fun breakfasts, consisting of our favorite foods. Several times now, Kristi has treated me with the gift of pancakes, which always gives me great joy. The image above was from our most recent camping trip back in October, which we enjoyed at Frozen Head State Park. The single burner stove you see the pan sitting on was a wedding present from a friend, which we have used for over 11 years now. And although the threaded blue cap has seen better days, it is still working fine, even with the half melted exterior. We still have a lot of wedding presents in our camping gear, and every time we go somewhere and use that stuff, we love to remember just where it all came from. Good times.

This week I was told to eliminate pork and wheat from my diet, and since pancake flour involves wheat, this will be a challenge to deal with. I am sure there are flours out there that are gluten free, but the taste and texture will not be the same, and that makes me a bit sad. Whatever the new flour will be will have to do, because pancakes must live on in my future!

As you celebrate Christmas this weekend, I hope that someone gives you a simple gift of love—like pancakes are for me—that you can’t put in a box under the tree. If that happens to you, drop me a line and let me know what it is. May you receive great joy from it and from celebrating the birth of our Savior!

No comments: