Sunday, January 1, 2012

Another amazing Experience (PRS)





Once again a while back in September, I got to attend the annual Experience PRS event in Stevensville, MD, where PRS guitars and amps are made. This was the 5th annual event for PRS, and the 4th in a row for me to attend. Timing wise, this trip was not good as I was just 3 wks removed from my 3rd of three outpatient surgeries I had “experienced” since May 20, so I was still quite sore. That however, would not deter me from having some fun, even though I knew it would be hard on me. Sometimes, you just have to push through pain, and rise above the circumstances to replace months of yuck with some super fun, good memories. Balance people . . . it’s all about balance.

Just like last year, Kristi and I drove to VA to spend time with family, and then few days after being there, I split off from them and drove to Annapolis where after a traumatizing driving experience in D.C., where I was misguided by the MapQuest monkeys, I would stay for the PRS event. This year I stayed in a Holiday Inn express, just off of West St., where PRS guitars started back in the mid 80’s. The threat of rain was present all through the day, and though I have experienced lots of different weather conditions at this mainly outdoor event, rain has yet to be one of them. Thankfully on this day, we were spared.

Thursday night was the membership only Signature Club event, which was a concert featuring a multitude of artists, either by themselves or backed by the PRS Band. Then, as the headliner, there was long time PRS endorser Al Di Meola to close out the concert and evening. I am not a big fan of his, but I sure respect and admire his talent and his band was stellar.

Friday brought with it RAIN. A LOT OF RAIN, and a myriad of seminars and demos for me, from the new product lineup, bass clinic, “why but not how” event, and acoustic demo as well as the closing concert of the day which was loaded with artists backed as well by the PRS band if not on their own. It was a long day but a great day and a WET day. Did I mention this was an OUTDOOR event for the most part? Thankfully, most of my events kept me safely tucked under the main stage tent, and when I did go inside the factory, it was not too bad outside.

There was an amp overview/demo with Paul Reed Smith, Doug Sewell and David Grissom and a stellar bass clinic put on by Gary Grainger who was joined by 4 other bassists who performed an incredible set of music with 5 basses, and it was the most musical thing I had ever heard with more than one bass. That was one of the many highlights of the whole event for me. Just incredible talent up there. David Grissom did a “4 amps in 1” event which was great and he also signed copies of his new CD, which I bought while I got to meet and chat with him about. I hope to be able to design the packaging on his new album which is part of what I was chatting with him about. I also saw my buddy Rick Owens there and caught up with him, whom I have not seen since last years event. Rick owns one of the rarest and oldest PRS guitars still in existence, and it is on display in the PRS archives each year because it is so significant in the history of PRS Guitars. Super nice guy. I also met lots of new people throughout Thursday night and Friday and enjoyed talking to them about all things PRS as well as what we do for a living etc. Another highlight for Friday was an acoustic demo put on by Ricky Skaggs, Cody Kilby and Tony McManus. It was DUMPING RAIN for a few hours outside so I went indoors and did a few things and this was one of them. They played and talked with the crowd way longer than their scheduled time slot and it was just a joy to sit there on the front row and experience that. It was as if they were in my living room, talking acoustics and playing amazing music.

Saturday came and was another great day, though cut short for me, by choice, so I could get back to my family. The only thing I missed was the closing concert, by Opeth, who I am not a fan of anyway, so to me I didn’t miss anything. Before that though I got to see overviews of PRS amps, both production and custom by various clinics I attended and a blistering concert by David Grissom and Davy Knowles which ended the event for me. What a way to go out. Those guys were incredible. I also hung out with some guys I had met earlier and played some guitars on the sales floor all the while trying to be a good boy and not walk away from the event with a large case in my hand. Just so you know, there were no instrument or amp purchases. This time.

I left Saturday afternoon and drove back to VA to spend the rest of our time with family and friends, had a wonderful time. We also got to see our dear friend Cherilyn who has been in DC a year now. She is a gem, and added yet another layer of joy to this trip. Love, love her. We also got to see our friends Sharon and Bernie who came in the day before we left, to visit Chuck and Kerri. We spent the remainder of that day and evening just chilling out at the house, taking in much needed R&R for a long drive home the next day, which for me wound up being much less painful than the drive up just 5 days prior. That was encouraging!

All in all, it was a great “experience”—both at PRS and with friends and family. I hope to go again to the PRS event in September of this year if they do a 6th one, because it has become a highlight of my year the past 4 years and is such a fun, guitar geek fest. Even though I am always alone at these, I still enjoy everything about them (except the weather some years) whether I am sick (2009) or recovering from surgery (2011). It’s sometimes turning lemons into lemonade.

If you would like to see the photos from the event, go here. Thanks for reading. Stay tuned for some more fun guitar posts soon!

No comments: