
I have lots of friends who are so into sports and it seems that no matter what time of year it is, at least one of them is talking about one of his favorite players switching teams and getting a new deal. Recently a favorite player of mine switched teams. Now I’m not talking about sports here when I say player or team. I’m speaking of one of my favorite guitar players, Doyle Dykes, and his recent switch from Taylor Guitars to Guild Guitars.
A few weeks ago I was surfing the net checking out videos of the NAMM show, and on facebook, all these posts about Doyle being at the Fender booth and playing Guilds started showing up. I was really surprised—not only at the news but also at how I had reacted to that news. I was really bummed about it. I guess like any sports nut, you get loyal to your team, and in this case (no pun intended) a guitar brand, like Taylor Guitars, and the people that are associated with it. So when someone leaves, it is a strange and sad feeling. One that is new for me. I couldn’t care less about what football players move to what teams year after year, or for any other sport really.
But then I started finding out that Taylor was changing and eliminating some of the clinic tours that they had Doyle doing, and from a financial standpoint, he had to do something to be able to continue providing for his family. That I get because he has to do that. I also found out that Guild guitars have been a part of his entire musical career—since he was a kid, so that’s kinda cool to see him “go back home” in a way to a brand that he started out playing decades ago. Though I am really bummed as a fan of all things Taylor that Doyle will not be at any of their events in the future, I am relieved that Doyle has seemed to make a decision that is built on a solid principle of needing to provide for his family and make a living, and be a bigger part of Guild than he was at Taylor. It’s also refreshing to read online that he is still friends with everyone at Taylor, and that no bridges have been burned there. I’ve emailed a few friends that work there and they said the same thing.
I have met Doyle in person and spent some time with him last year and it was one of the highlights of my entire year. He is a dear man who loves the Lord with all he is and has and gives God the glory and credit for everything. And then there’s his amazing talent at playing guitar. He is one of the worlds great players, and will be for all time. So Taylor’s loss is Guild’s gain in a big way, because they get a great man who is passionate about their brand and will work hard to be a great face for the Fender Corp., and the people in that company and all who come into contact with Doyle will get an amazing experience that they won’t soon forget.
When I started to think about how many new people Doyle can be exposed to for ministry and spreading the gospel, then my sadness about him leaving “my team” for another went away. Because in the end, he is still on the main team—he’s just playing for a whole new fan base. May the Lord use him mightily to spread the good news and the Guild news.
No comments:
Post a Comment