Sunday, March 3, 2013

Elixir Strings Trial Part 2



Here we are, a week into my month long trial set of Elixir guitar strings. So far I have logged 5.25 hrs playing them in this first week, and I just finished filling out my initial survey on the Elixir site. As soon as I strung up my Larriveé C-10 with these trial strings I could tell a difference, after playing their Phosphor Bronze line of strings for almost a year now on that guitar.

In the first few days of playing the new strings I wasn’t really sure I was going to like them, but as time as “marched” on this week, I have gotten used to them and can confidently say that I really like them. The tone is different for sure from the Phosphor Bronze—that was noticed immediately, but in spending time with them each day I have gotten used to them and really like them. I’m so used to Elixir strings anyway and how great they are in sound and long lasting reliability that I am just spoiled, but in the coming weeks I will be paying attention to what happens and make notes of anything noticeable.

The only thing thus far, and this is not a complaint—but these strings are a bit louder regarding finger squeaks—you know, when you slide up and down the fretboard and that squeak happens. Well these are a bit louder in that regard but again, not a complaint because that doesn’t happen so much and so loud that it bothers me. Just a natural part of playing acoustic guitar.

So, that is the update after week one. It’s all good so far and I look forward to spending more time playing each day and enjoying this great new set of strings. Today starts week 2 and at the end of week 5 is when I remove these from my guitar, box them up and mail back to Elixir for analysis, while I restring my guitar with yet another new set of FREE Elixirs. It’a sweet deal.

Check back soon as I may give a mid month update on things with the strings. Stay tuned . . .

No comments: